CENTER FOR METABOLIC SURGERY & OBESITY
The Center for Metabolic Surgery & Obesity of REA Hospital, is staffed by specialized scientific team with years of experience in the field of treating obesity.
Obesity is the leading cause of metabolic syndrome, defined by the coexistence of risk factors; including glucose disorder, hypertriglyceridaemia, reduced HDL, and hypertension.
The risk for cardiovascular problems and diabetes -Type 2 in patients with metabolic syndrome is high.
Losing weight over 15% can reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome. Bariatric procedures achieve drastic weight loss and improvement or treatment of Diabetes - Type 2 (diabetes mellitus), arterial hypertension, dyslipidemia, inflammation and renal function.
Surgical treatment of obesity is the most drastic solution for both weight loss and the maintenance of this loss in obese obese people.
"Metabolic" or bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment in MS2, and early surgical intervention has been shown to increase success rates.
The Center for Metabolic Surgery & Obesity aims at:
• Recognizing obesity and metabolic syndrome and dealing with a group of dietitians, psychologists and endocrinologists
• Evaluating and informing obese people about the available surgical options
• Informing about surgical options for treating Diabetes - Type 2
The surgical treatment of obese patients is undertaken by specialized surgeons with certificated knowledge. All interventions are performed laparoscopically.
Postoperative follow-up lasts at least 2 years for all those who have already undergone bariatric surgery.
The main bariatric procedures performed at our center are:
• Laparoscopic oblong gastrectomy
• Laparoscopic gastric bypass of an anastomosis
• Laparoscopic gastric bypass
• Revisions of previous bariatric procedures (gastric ring removal, Re-Sleeve, gastric bypass for weight gain or treatment of gastroesophageal reflux)
* The Center for Metabolic Surgery & Obesity operates every Wednesday from 17:00 to 21:00 by appointment.