REA Hospital’s Urology Clinic is staffed by a team of experienced urologists and solves any kind of urological problems to adult men and women. This clinic features modern equipment with flexible and solid cystoscopes and ureteroscopes, laser endoscopy for tumours and urinary stones,and endoscopy towers. It is also equipped with the latest ultrasound scanners for accurate diagnosis and targeted prostatic biopsies, bipolar diathermy, TURis system for transurethral procedures of the prostate and the urinary bladder. It works together with the department of Medical Imaging of REA Hospital (CT and MRI scanners), as well as with the radiology department, which is staffed by experienced radiologists.
The urology clinic specialises on the following fields:
- Classic urology: conditions of the organs of the adult genitourinary system, i.e. conditions affecting the adrenal glands, kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, prostate gland, urethra and penis, which can be treated either conservatively or surgically. Modern surgical approach to urinary system organs mainly entails endoscopic procedures (e.g. TURis system for the prostate).
- Urologic oncology: vertical management of urinary system tumours, with diagnosis, treatment and post-operative follow-up. Biopsies of prostate, urinary bladder and kidneys.
- Urinary lithiasis: diagnosis and treatment of stones of the urinary collecting system (endoscopic laser lithotripsy, diathermal lithotripsy, PCNL).
- Erectile dysfunction: possibility to repair erectile function with any degree of disorder by conservative, pharmacological or surgical approaches
- Urination disorders - Neuro-urology: study and evidence-based treatment of such problems (urodynamic tests).
- Reconstructive urology: repair of urinary injury in adults. Repair of congenital abnormalities in the urinary system.
- Fertility problems: diagnosis and treatment of subfertile or infertile men either pharmacologically or surgically. Testicular biopsies and semen sampling for IVF - sperm freezing. In cooperation with REA Hospital’s fertility team for permanent solutions to fertility problems.
- Short-stay clinic for microsurgery and endoscopy. Cystoscopy, circumcision, condyloma cauterisation, frenulum breve, urethral dilatation.
The operating room is fully equipped with all necessary medical equipment to perform open and endoscopic procedures.
The various individual Units and Departments of the Clinic specialise on:
- Urologic oncology, with special emphasis on cancers of the bladder, prostate, kidneys and testicles.
- Urinary incontinence, both female and male, using all modern treatment methods, such as the application of a tension-free suburethral tape for female effort incontinence and of an artificial sphincter and tapes for male incontinence.
- Neuro-urology - Urodynamics. Diagnostic and therapeutic approach to urination disorders caused by neurological conditions (spinal cord injury, myelomeningocele, multiple sclerosis, etc). Diagnosis and treatment of many of the above conditions (incontinence, neurogenic dysfunction of the lower urinary system, etc) is based on accurate urodynamic assessment.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia. State-of-the-art transurethral prostatectomy machines (bipolar TURis) enables us to offer the optimal method to each individual patient (open surgery or endoscopy).
- Urinary lithiasis. Endourology techniques ensure that the majority of urinary stones are treatable without the need of an open surgery (use of laser lithotripsy with semi-flexible and flexible ureteroscopes).
- Guides patients in a reliable and effective way through their next steps to tackle both infertility and erectile dysfunction, pharmacologically or surgically (penile prosthesis).